Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Ed's comment on 11/9/09 reading

Ed sent the following email yesterday in reply to my comment:

I agree. Both appreciation and the improving of one’s gifts can be improved and built upon. Western thinking, as influenced by the Greeks, is both blessed and cursed by Greek type thinking. As you know, according to Greek mind something is or it isn’t, it is true or not true, two things cannot occupy the same space at the same time, etc. However, the Hebrew mind believes two opposing concepts can be present simultaneously (e.g. Man is good or evil = Greek. Man is both good and evil = Hebrew.). However, both can appreciate and create beauty.

I also agree with Solzhenitsyn’s comment about these things (beauty and truth) being beyond pure rational thought. I do not agree with those who state that truth can be different for people. I believe there is only one truth; however, most truths are beyond our understanding. I do believe that beauty is in the “eye of the beholder” (or ear of the listener or feet of the dancer) because these are empirical in nature and by definition they are perceived individually, thus appreciated at differing levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment