Tuesday, November 10, 2009
encountering beauty
I have had the following type of experience several times recently. I usually listen to the classical music station on the car radio. On the way to or from work, I hear a piece, new to me, which is incredibly beautiful. The melody keeps repeating in my head. Later that day, I look on the station's website to find out what the piece was. The last time this happened, it was a ca 1500's Ave Maria by an Italian composer named Caccini. First I got a digital recording and listened to it numerous times. Eventually I found simple enough sheet music so I could play it on the piano and now play it regularly. I offer this as a very simple example of how encountering beauty can change us. I am moved by nature, a beautiful sunset, a cove of trees in shadow, the tide coming in at the seashore. Our personal relationships offer the largest glimpse of life affecting beauty.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment